Monday, November 14, 2011

Josie Kathryn's Birth Story

It's times like this I wish I were a writer and could describe my experience in words that would serve it justice, but I'm not so I will just have to take my sons advice......."Just peeetend mommy",

so here it goes!!

The entire last month of my pregnancy  I experienced pre-labor, which made me believe everyday was the day, to no avail. It got to the point of Chris ignoring me when I expressed concerns of being in labor, I didn't blame him though!

We really tried to squeeze in as much quality, fun time with the boys before baby girl decided to quit playing around and join our crazy life!

The night of my due date I got the boys fed, bathed, and tucked tightly into bed and my prayers went a little something like this.............

Dear Lord,
What is she waiting on? I'm not rushing, I want her to be ready, but how long is this going to take? I'm getting quite anxious so send a little patience my way please!

He sent more than patience, he sent a little pep in her step!
Around 10:00pm, I started having contractions every 20 minutes and they continued to get stronger. I was determined to get the much needed rest for the marathon I was about to endure. I was able to sleep until 2:00am, at which point I had to breath through the contractions as they were having a party every 7-8 minutes. I began gathering my belongings together and my sweet Colby man tip-toed into my room and was curious as to what in the world I was doing. I explained that Josie was telling mommy that she was on her way and his response was.....

Really? I can't wait! I'm going to sit right here with you! When are you going to push?

God love him! He was somewhat disappointed when I broke the news that I was going to the hospital and he was staying with Nanny and there would be no pushing anytime soon. I called my mom to inform her that it was time. Colby went back to sleep once he realized there would be no pushing, and Nanny arrived in the next 30 minutes.

Chris was in the bed with Chase and it felt so fantastic to say, "get up, it REALLY is time!"

I waited until about 5:00am at which point my contractions were 5 minutes apart, and I gave my doula and doctor a call and after much deliberation, decided to make our way to the hospital.

We checked in, got comfortable, and I was ready to tackle the challenge that I knew would change my life forever.
I spent 9 months preparing for a natural birth. I prepared my body, mind, and soul, and I was more than ready! I can honestly say I had NO FEAR, only confidence! My priest told me FEAR STRANGLES HOPE......and I held onto his words!

I prayed about every specific aspect of my birthing experience, and the stars lined up in my favor for sure. Karen Vandervelde was the nurse that I prayed for and she arrived 10 minutes after I checked in......AMEN! This women was God sent, literally! She has had 7 natural labors and 2 homebirths, need I say more. She was everything I was hoping for and then some!

When I arrived to the hospital, I was already at 5cm and feeling great, which was definitely a highlight and confidence booster!

Chris was a dream....honestly, I could not have done it without him. He held my hand, walked the halls, brushed my hair out of my face, applied pressure to my back and chap stick to my lips, massaged, offered encouraging words at the PERFECT time, danced with me, and gave me strength! I felt the ultimate love! He was my rock, and I understand now why a friend of mine told me that it took her marriage to another level. It's an event that extremely intensifies your love for one another in a way that is unexplainable and unforgettable.

I was at 7cm by 9:00am and quickly progressed to 9cm by 10:30am. I used hypnobabies and was able to go to a happy made all the difference in the world. I was thrilled that labor was progressing so quickly  and I could see the high fives in my near future, but I got way ahead of myself. I guess Josie wanted to take a little nap before making her voyage. I stalled at 9cm for five hours. Yes, I said five hours. Five hours of muscling through contractions every 3-5 minutes. I used all the hypno methods, prayer, and the love and support of my birthing team which allowed me to stay calm, cool, and collective! Around 3:30pm I felt like somebody poured a bucket of tired all over my body and it was getting difficult to recompose between that time the two minute breaks felt more like two second breaks.

I asked everyone how much longer can I stay at 9cm and my nurse replied,
"as long as it takes, and you are doing great!"

It was all I needed.....all I needed to refuel and not feel defeated!

Karen decided to check me in hopes of gaining that one centimeter I was desperately seeking, and all the sudden my water broke or should I say exploded and I felt an instant relief, overwhelming joy, and a contraction that didn't seem to quit!

Now I had to put on my game face because it was finally game time!! I asked Karen how would I know it was time to push and she assured me, "your body will tell you exactly what to do!"

She was right! I suddenly got this intense urge to push so I started bearing down and trying to breath baby girl down. It happened so quickly that it caught everyone off guard. Since no one was really paying attention or saying anything about a baby's head, I was wondering why in the world it felt like I was giving birth.....the ring of fire was undeniable! Finally, Chris announced, "I think that's her head!"

Oh thank goodness, I knew something was going on down there! I reached my hand down and felt her entire head and my body was taken over with emotions that I didn't know were humanly possible. Dr. Sims rushed in and with the next contraction and with all my might I pushed baby girl into this world and she was immediately placed on my chest!

She laid on my chest and radiated peace from her little angelic face. It was as if she had found exactly what she was looking for, she was home. We waited for her cord to stop pulsating and she was ready for our bodies to separate. No one interfered with our bonding. There were no drugs, no whisking her away, sticking her with needles, rubbing ointment in her eyes, roughly scrubbing her down, no one doing unnecessary procedures.

It was the most gentle birth and was exactly what I baby girl only surrounded by the love that created her!
Josie remained close to my heart and nursed until her little heart was content. A few hours later she weighed in at......

19 1/2 inches

She never left my side again!

I've experienced birth with an epidural, and now I've had a complete "pure" birth with no interventions and I would choose "pure" all day long! I realized I can take drugs to take away most of the pain, but it also takes away the euphoria!

I feel in my heart that I gained what God intended for my life and it was empowering and life-changing!

Josie Kathryn Jones

Josie didn't even have a bath at the hospital....we kind of forgot and then we went home the next day. Once we got home, I thought it would be nice for her to take the first relaxing bath with mommy, but two little squirts had to join the fun!
I don't think Josie would have wanted it any other way! 

                                            My Fab Family of Five!

Thank You!

Dr.Shane Sims (The best doctor ever!)
Karen (my wonderful nurse)

Jess  (my fantastic doula)
                                                   Kim (my incredible friend & photographer)
& of course
my MIL & Mom!

Until Next Time..............


Madeline said...

This got me all teary eyed. What a beautiful birth story!!! I'm so glad you got your wonderful, peaceful birth!!

Anna said...

You are some kind of amazing. Reading this made me want to attempt a natural birth (not that I'm pregnant, but still.....)

Kosek Landing said...

I'm finally having time to read this...such a great story, and you are a beautiful writer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...