Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Practice Makes Better

Six months ago Colby noticed his little friend could ride her bike much faster without training wheels, and he admired how her bike would fall over when they reached their destination, so he began to get off and literally push his bike over.
 
I assumed he was ready! We purchased a new bike, helmet, knee pads, gloves, everything but a body suit. He did great until he hit the pavement, and then there was no reasoning with my persistent squirt....he was done!
 
I gave him space and time, but this weekend he resembled Donkey Kong in the circus trying to maneuver that tiny bike with his knees all up in his elbows, and I knew it was time to move on.
 
We loaded up Ole Blue and headed to the park to conquer his bike riding fear.
 
I gave my best, little pep talk:
 
Baby, I know you can do this. I believe in you. You are so brave. I can't promise you will not crash and I can't promise you won't get hurt, but I promise every person that has ever learned to ride a bike has crashed at least once, it's okay.
 
PRACTICE MAKES BETTER, BUT FEAR STRANGLES HOPE!
 
You can do it!
 
 
 
He proudly pulled himself up on Ole Blue, and
                                                    with a push from dad, he was off!

  I don't know what it is about seeing your baby ride off on his bike for the first time, but as I shouted, "yeah....look at you" I literally had to fight back the tears.

                 He was proud and confident! Daddy suggested taking it to the pavement for easier riding.

Colby was a little hesitant but he wasn't going to let fear hold him back. Little speedster was on the move and Top Gun shouted, "turn around!"

Oh dear....we didn't teach him how to turn around.



He picked up speed as he traveled down that hill and was headed straight for the reservoir. My heart stopped and Top Gun froze as we waited for him to take a plunge, but the picnic table intervened...it wasn't pretty, AT ALL!
 
I thought, oh geeze, here we go again, it will be another six months before Ole Blue gets to take a spin around the block.
 
I'm not saying he wasn't spitting mad, especially since he heard a lady belly laugh at his crash, but after the initial shock of barely escaping a nose dive in the rez and slamming into stone at a rapid speed, he announced,
 
"I guess I'm not giving up, practice makes better!"
 
Ahhhhh....music to my ears.
 
Who could give up with a cheerleader this cute?

                               Every time I cheered, she clapped and squealed....we were quite the pep-squad!

 
Enjoy The Journey!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...