Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The New Year!

Chris and I put Colby to bed and then we went to ring in the New Year with Louie and Carrie Garrett. You know you are getting old when you get excited about playing games on New Years Eve! I'm not bragging or anything but the Ladies took the guys down in catch phrase, eat your heart out Louie and Chris! Carrie looked adorable with her belly bump and I can't wait until little Trace gets here!

I made two New Years resolutions and they are to not miss church all year and to not worry about every little thing when it comes to Colby! I am a very logical person and I have this horrible habit of thinking there is one right answer for every situation. So, if it concerns Colby I can consume myself with researching every little thing. I also think being an early childhood education major doesn't help. I spent years in child psychology classes listening to how babies and children are effected by everything their parents do, and it literally made me a worry wart! Don't get me wrong, I will do what's best for Colby and I will be a responsible parent, but I'm going to let go of all the worry!

It's been unbelievable how Colby just all the sudden decided to sign everything. The other day he was eating cheerios and applesauce and kept signing more but then he wouldn't eat it. I asked him why was he he signing more but not eating and he signed cheese. I got him cheese and he was satisfied, I was amazed! Signing is wonderful because they can communicate what they want at such an early age. Colby's signing vocabulary now consist of; more, cheese, cheerios, water, milk, potty, tree, ice cream, airplane, fan, baby, all done, bath, sun, dog, out, and good-bye.
I've mentioned before that babies who sign learn to read very easily and early. Babies can learn the alphabet quickly if they learn to sign it. When it comes to children
* They hear, they forget it
*They see it they remember it
*They do it , they understand it

Here is a video of a two 1/2 year old that learned to sign the alphabet and then she started to sound out words. Reading is fun and easy for her!

Her signing the alphabet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqN89xJ72aQ
Her reading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2taSJ08Ho8w

We start a sing and sign class on January 16 at St. Dominics. It's on Wednesday at 5:00. If you are interested, you can still sign up. It's so much fun and the babies have such a good time.
I am so excited about becoming an instructor, and I can't wait to share this special gift with other parents!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...