Wednesday, February 9, 2011

There's No Need To Hide- Public Breastfeeding

Finally, the government is stepping up and supporting moms with public breastfeeding.........







Do you know why?

MONEY!

The government has come to the conclusion that if all women in the US would exclusively breastfeed their child for 6 months then it would save 13 billion dollars yearly in health care.



WOW.....that is a huge deal, but I can think of many more reasons why the government should have started supporting public breastfeeding way before now! Breastfeeding moms don't won't to be prisoners of their own home, they don't won't to feed their baby in a nasty restroom, and they can't just leave their other children playing all alone while they go find a secret hiding place...just to mention a few. They just want to feed their baby and go about the day and suggest gawkies ( I don't even know if that's a real word but that's what I call them) do the same.

Sometimes Gawkies make me want to sing......"monkeys always looking, take a picture it will last longer!" I know what your thinking......goober, right?

I've had several friends encounter a rude spectator while they were trying to feed their baby in public. I just can't imagine why anyone would think it's acceptable to ridicule a mother for doing what's very best for her child. 75% of women start out breastfeeding in the hospital, and even though it's recommended to exclusively BF for 6 months with one year being the goal, it drops to 38% at 6 months, I strongly believe that if more woman felt completely comfortable nursing in public that the numbers would not drop so drastically.

I have heard some pretty immature statements about public nursing, but I think the one that makes my skin crawl the most is.......MY CHILD MIGHT SEE.

Yep, my skin is crawling right now as I'm thinking about it!

Hello!!! What is wrong with your child seeing a mom nurse her baby? Why does that child not already know why God gave women breast? Why are you upset for your child to witness something so special between a mother and child?

Did you know the more your son is exposed to breastfeeding, the more likely he is to support his future wife with BF, also the more your daughter is exposed to BF, the greater chance she will BF as well. So, what does that mean? Your grandchildren have the best start  in life.....so what is it again you are complaining about? I'm confused!

If it's the fear of actually being flashed by a breast, then you are looking way too hard!

I am so thankful that Colby knows breastfeeding is just a part of life, he would never even notice a mom nursing in public. I would be the one to point it out......"look Colby, that sweet baby is eating!"
When breastfeeding is no longer a part of our life, I will still revisit the topic often with my boys.  I never won't them to forget that breast are for nourishing babies and nothing about breastfeeding should ever be shameful. I pray they will respect women and support them for the sacrifices they make for their children.

Even if you choose not to breastfeed or physically can't, it's still a wonderful idea to expose your child to breastfeeding and teach them that it's a normal part of life. Children should know it's just as acceptable to see a mom breastfeeding as it is to bottle feed.

We have to reverse the crazy damage that's been done in our culture. We are teaching our children that breasts are sexual objects to please men.....sorry to disappoint so many people out there, but breast have a much more IMPORTANT JOB!

Over 700 people wrote in a complaint that they didn't like this cover because they didn't won't their children looking at a big breast. Really? Again, I'm confused. I would have used it as a teaching tool for my children.

I wonder how many people complained about this cover. If I had to guess.....ZERO. I'm telling you, our culture has some wacky views,


Supermodel Miranda Kerr  has received amazing feedback on her breastfeeding photo, but she has also received comments such as:
Inappropriate
gross
too personal,
I think it's beautiful!

But I guess these photos aren't too personal at all?????


What in the world is wrong with our views, morals, and standards? We should be embarrassed!!

We need to support all moms, rather it's bottle-feeding moms or public breastfeeding moms.....all moms just want support and are trying to do the best they can. The next time you want to stare, give a cruel look, or even give your unsolicited advice to a mom breastfeeding in public......please get over yourself and be supportive of a GREAT THING!

1 comment:

Kosek Landing said...

Amen sister! I just love your passion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...