Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Respecting Boundaries

It has been evident that positive discipline has definitely instilled self-respect in Colby, and at a high level of maturity for a four-year old.

I purchased Colby a hole punch, and he thinks it is the most magnificent tool ever created. He literally punched holes in leaves for hours today. We were heading out to eat dinner, and he realized his pants didn't have a pocket hole-punch holder, and all things came to a halt!

Mom, I have to change shorts, I need a pocket.

We are leaving, just put it in my bag.

No, I need to keep it close so I can take care of it.

Son, we don't really have time. Let's just go!

He glanced up at me, while fighting back tears of frustration and, grumbled- MOM, YOU ARE NOT RESPECTING MY BOUNDARIES!!!

I'm not going to admit what I wanted to say, but I knew what I had to say in such a teachable moment-
Colby, you are right. Your tool is very important to you and you would like to change into a pair of shorts with a pocket so you can keep up with it, right?

Yes mam!

Okay, go change and then meet us in the car.

Okay!


He climbed in Oddy, buckled up, grinned at me through the mirror, and so proudly proclaimed- thanks mom, for respecting my boundaries!

You are very welcome! Thank you for controlling your anger and communicating so well!

 I was very angry and did what you said- I breathed in my nose and out of my mouth!

God love my exuberant, spirited child!

Until Next Time.....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...