Monday, February 9, 2009

Colby Finished My Sentence

I thought Colby was back to pooping in the potty but there are still some mishaps. The weather was perfect so we played outside all day. We were kicking the ball and the wind blew a poopy smell in my direction. I said, "Colby did you poo poo?" and he signed "change". I took him inside and as I was saying you don't poo poo in your diaper, he signed "inside potty". I started to crack up because he finished my sentence and I realized he knows exactly where to potty, he just preferred to stay outside and poop on himself.


Last night Colby slept from 7:00-8:00 and then he napped this morning from 10:30-1:30 so I thought he might could go without an afternoon nap and could transition into 1 nap a day. He did great without 2 naps and went to bed right at 7:00. Tomorrow may be totally different but it worked out well today! I think it will be so much easier planning around 1 nap instead of two. Also, we can start attending story time at the Florence Library.



We had so much fun playing outside, we didn't even come in for lunch. I enjoyed eating outside because it was less mess to clean up!

Colby loves the doorbell!




Our little picnic outside :)
I need to get a toddler picnic table so he can sit!





Colby eats like a grown man. I use to be concerned but the doctor told me not to worry about it and let him eat as much as he wants. I'm not complaining because I'm glad I don't have to worry about him not eating enough. He weighs a little over 25 lbs, which isn't that high for his age so I guess he has a fast metabolism!
For example, for dinner tonight he ate
1 avocado
a bowl of Jambalaya
8-10 small shrimp
squash
broccoli
1/2 cup of cantaloupe
and would have eaten more if we didn't mention bath time, which he loves!
Colby continues to add signs everyday. It's so interesting because he waits to reveal a new sign when he thinks it's important. We were walking into church Sunday and he heard a bird chirp so he pointed up and signed "bird" for the first time. It makes me feel great that I know what he is thinking about at times. We were blowing bubbles and the wind kept blowing the bubbles away so I said, "uh-o where did the bubbles go?" He looked at me laughing and signed "wind".
I am finally an instructor with sign2me and I will be starting classes soon!
Colby has close to 40 signs in his vocabulary and the average 13 month old can only speak an average of 5 words so you can see how much signing can help your baby communicate with you!
Colby just started saying a few more words
momma
daddy
gammy
paw
duck
no
bowl
poo poo
more
hi
byebye
As you can see by his spoken words that communication would be limited and we would not understand each other like we are able to do through signs (research says this is the reason why signing babies have a closer bond with their parents). Thank God he can sign because he has a hot temper, and I think he would have tantrums often if he couldn't sign to tell me what his wants and needs are.







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...