Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Stomach Bug Madness!

We thought Colby was over the virus after vomiting Sunday morning but it lingered around. He became very clingy and whiny right before bedtime and I could tell he didn't feel well. The next morning when he woke up I went in his bedroom to find him covered in vomit. He had thrown up several times through the night and just went right back to sleep. I don't know if he is so tired and doesn't fully wake up enough to cry out for help or if he just doesn't care about laying in vomit. I know, it's crazy! This virus was out of control. Conner gave it to Ryan and Angie, which is 7 months pregnant. Colby gave it to Chris and a child that I tutor, which gave it to her family. The following Monday at Conner's daycare 14 children went home with the virus. I'm still not sure how in the world I didn't get it! It took several days for Colby to get back to normal. Several days later he still acted like something was hurting so I called the doctor and the nurse that it's normal for his stomach to cramp for several days. I think that Colby associated the stomach pains with the potty because he would scream if I even walked into the bathroom and he has never cried about using the potty. So, i didn't take him at all for several days and i was so afraid he would regress tremendously. The two days before he got sick, he went all day with no accidents (except nap time) and now it's like we took 20 steps backwards. He just started back sitting on the potty today and has gone TT 4 times but still refuses to poop in the potty. I must admit that after not cleaning poop for so long, it stinks to have to do it again (especially with cloth diapers)! Early potty training experts say that if you start between 7-9 months, they should be completely potty trained between 15-19 months (even nighttime) so I'm guessing that Colby is going to be on the late end of that spectrum. If he isn't potty trained for several more months that's completely okay with me. I didn't early potty train so it would be convenient for me I did it so it would be a natural thing for Colby and he would never be afraid to potty and to eliminate bed wetting problems when he is older. I read that early potty training greatly reduces the chance of bed wetting and since Chris and I both were bed wetters, I had to save Colby hehe!


Colby started feeling better towards the weekend so Coach and JoJo came to visit. We went to eat lunch and then came back home to enjoy the nice weather. It was just cool enough to enjoy some hot tea and watch Colby play outside.






































Baby Sign
We were walking down the road and a car passed and Colby looked up at me and signed "car". I was able to tell him yes that is a car. If he didn't sign there would be no way for him to ask me if that was a car.
He also signed "dog" when he saw a picture of a kangaroo and I told him no, it's a kangaroo. Babies that sign score an average of 10-12 points higher on IQ tests ( at age 6) than non-signing babies because they learned so much information and vocabulary so early.


When he was sick he signed "sleep" (it wasn't nap time) so I put him in the bed and he went right to sleep.
His favorite new sign is "thank you". Every time he gives us a kiss, we always say thank you so now he gives a kiss and then he signs thank you. It is the cutest thing ever!


Colby's New Signs
apple
please
thank you
car
cold
change


Sign Class
There are 2 two-year olds in this class and they can both sign the alphabet and have started to finger spell words, it bridges the gap to reading.





I have heard several people say, "I just don't have the time to teach my baby sign language."
It doesn't take any extra time of your day. You just sign when you say the word, that's it! Your baby will pick up on the sign and the word quickly because when they see the movement of your hand while you say the word they pay closer attention. No, you don't make your baby study, it's just a natural thing. No, you don't have to go to class. Class is just really fun and it's great interaction for children. It's full of dancing, playing instruments, singing, signing, and just having fun! You will learn tips on helping your baby sign.
I am almost ready to begin teaching classes so I talked to my instructor today about getting started. She said the hardest part she has had to deal with in Mississippi was the lack of knowledge. She said she was so surprised because everywhere else she has been, people are educated about it and here she has to explain why you would teach your baby sign language.
She was shocked that her pediatrician asked if it delays language because you would think that a doctor would be a little more informed. She proceeded to explain that babies who sign are usually 6 months-1year more advanced in language skills. Once they learn to speak the word they usually drop the sign, just like they quit crawling when they learn to walk. Many people encourage their baby to continue to sign because it's ASL and it's the third most used language in the world so it can be beneficial in life.
She wasn't being rude, she is the sweetest thing ever, she was just trying to explain the best way possible without putting down Mississippi. We all know that we are usually behind on things so there is no reason to take offense and it's sad but true that a small percentage of our adults read for pleasure. It's hard to learn about new things if you don't read.
It's so important for children to see their parents reading for pleasure because then it becomes important to them too! Share the gift of reading with your children, they will always imitate you!


1 comment:

Ashley said...

whoa! who is that really scary looking chick in the background??? i am going to have to start brushing my hair before signing class, Oh My Goodness!!! your blog is so good! i can't wait to read more; i feel like i am getting to know you so well!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...