Friday, September 25, 2009

A Rough Week

Let me start off by saying I try to live by the verse:

In everything you do stay away from complaining and arguing Philippians 2:14


so I will start with the praise first!

I am so thankful that Colby is such a healthy child (I like to think it's because of the 13 months of nursing but he could just have a really good immune system)! He has had one ear infection at 3 months old and three fever viruses, that's it!! My heart goes out to many of my friend's children that are constantly struggling with ear infections, sinus infections, bronchitis, tonsillitis, flu, strep and sooo much more. I have seen how difficult it can be for the child and parents. I keep them in my prayers constantly. I will settle for a fever virus any day, and I really do count my blessings!!


With that said.... I have to describe our past week. I am not complaining, but it was rough to say the least!


First of all, I was so determined to never start Colby on juice because I was thrilled that he loved milk and water soo much. Plus, juice has way too much sugar and can cause tummy problems. Thanks to birthday parties and my dad, juice was introduced not by my choice. He began to ask for juice instead of milk, so I broke down and bought a bottle of all natural apple juice. Last Thursday he cried all day for juice and I gave it to him (I know what your saying.....get a back bone and say no) He probably had 5 sippy cups full throughout the day. Guess what Colby had the entire next day....yep horrible diarrhea. He wears underwear at home so he went through about 15 pair. He would yell "poo poo" and as I picked him up and started running to the potty I would feel runny poop drizzling down my leg. It was pitiful, and I felt so bad that I could have prevented the whole situation. He got a booty rash because of all the diarrhea and would scream hysterically if you even tried to put medicine on it. He wears cloth diapers so he never experienced diaper rash so he didn't take it too well! I went to the store and got some Aveno powder to put in the bath tub and it seemed to help tremendously. I decided no more juice in the house!!!


I also found out that at his age he isn't suppose to have more than like 4 ounces a day....that might explain where we went wrong.


Friday....feeling better and no juice.

Saturday....a little cranky and running 99 fever.....gave him Tylenol.

Sunday.....running 103.6 and felt like he was on fire.




I called the doctor and they told me they were overloaded and just the call back wait was two hours. I began to rotate Tylenol and Motrin every four hours to get his fever down. I waited 3 hours and no call back and Colby's fever was still 103. I'm frantic at this point and call back and request to please get a time for an appointment. I think she could tell I was almost in tears so she said come at 4:00. Colby and I sat in the car while Chris waited inside, I didn't want to expose him to the swine flu. Colby pretended to drive for two hours while we waited and finally Chris came out to the car and said it was time to see the doctor. I was so scared it was the flu but they ran all the test and found nothing. For the third time it was a stinking fever virus. The doctor put him on an antibiotic just in case because some children were testing negative for the flu and then the next day testing positive. Colby has only been on one antibiotic in his life (the ear infection at 3 months) so I really don't know if he is allergic to anything. Well...he woke up the next morning with a rash from head to toe. The nurse said it was probably a rash from the fever virus because that's typical, but to be safe stop the medicine for 24 hours and see what happens to the rash. I stopped the antibiotic and the next morning the rash began to fade and he had no fever, thank goodness!

Monday-Thursday- Home bound :(
I kept him in the house all week until Thursday and we almost went stir crazy!


We love to go go go! I love going to bible study, play dates, park, etc. He was so cranky from being in the house all day everyday that we were both going insane! Not to mention that for about four nights in a row he would wake up not feeling well and wanted hugs and kisses. I didn't mind at all because he went right back to sleep but it's something about interrupted sleep that makes you feel so sluggish the next day. I guess it was a good reminder of whats to come in January.


I was at a loss trying to find things for Colby to do that kept him happy, and I discovered he loves to play with rice.









I'm glad this week is over and Colby feels 100% better!! He deserves something really fun so tomorrow we are meeting Coach and JoJo at the Hattisburg Zoo and then having lunch!! I can't wait, Colby will be so excited!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...