Saturday, July 9, 2011

Walk the Walk

Do you ever feel overwhelmed when you think about the important role you play as a parent?  I know I sure do! I know I could preach until I'm blue in the face, but what good does that serve?

I know my children will do as they see, no matter what I say!

I pray for God to give me the wisdom to teach my children the way to live as Christ, but also to know when I need to make a change!!



We go to the park at least 3-4 times a week and every time we arrive it's literally a landfill! It looks like a bomb went off.....no one knows the use of a garbage can! Drinks are everywhere, which Chase feels the need to taste test each one...GRODY ODY!! McDonald bags cover the benches and there is enough soda cans to attach to every newlywed car in town.....not the ideal picnic for kiddos but whatever!

I found myself complaining every morning while I cleaned up the park and then I noticed Colby doing the same...IT HIT ME LIKE A TON OF BRICKS! Not only was I not living out my faith.....

Do everything without complaining or arguing. Philippians 2:14


But I was failing at guiding my son down the right path!


Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6


God gave me the wisdom to know I was in the wrong! Instead of teaching my children to complain about the mess, I could use the situation as a life lesson!


I turned my frown upside down and had a little pow-wow with my boys! I explained that nothing good ever comes from complaining and that's why God tells us to steer clear of the ugly habit. Then, we discussed how we could be good citizens and clean up the mess with a joyful heart. 


I also informed them that some people are just wrong by accident since no one has taught them the right thing to do, but since we know we should take care of the place God gave us to live....it's our responsibility to clean up nasty litter!


It worked like a charm and now Colby goes out of his way to pick up litter and does it with a happy heart!!






I guess it pays to walk the walk if I'm going to talk the talk!

1 comment:

Madeline said...

That's such a hard one to model yet still so necessary! What a great way to do it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...