Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Birthing Journey- Why a Natural Birth?

Why do you want a natural birth? A question I have received a few times, and I never really know how to answer it......since it's a loaded question!

If I could sit down for hours over coffee, then maybe! But, it's too difficult to answer quickly.

The question doesn't bother me at all, but usually the ones that ask have never had any interest in learning about birth, so I don't even know where to begin!

I'm definitely not saying natural is the right choice, there are no right choices....you just have to find the right choice for you! I love everything about birth, and I'm really passionate about gaining knowledge on all things birthing. I would love to become a doula.....actually I probably will in the future. Everything about birth is extremely intriguing to me, and I just can't get enough....I could read birth stories all day long, and study all about birth until I'm blue in the face!

I know not everyone else shares the same passion, so I'm not surprised when someone confusingly says, "why would you have a natural birth?" I just know that I have a different knowledge and perspective on the topic since it's an interest of mine....which is OKAY, different strokes for different folks!

There is an endless list of reasons why natural is the choice for me....

I know that any artificial interruption in birthing, even for the best of intentions, adds risks. Whenever we interfere with the normal process of birthing, we increase the risks to both the mother and her child. I also realize that all medications taken during pregnancy are passed to the baby to one degree or another.

It's about making the safest, gentlest choices for the well-being of my child, but as important as the health aspect is to me, it isn't the biggest factor in my desire to go natural.

I don't believe that birth is a medical emergency! Just like my heart knows to beat and my lungs to breath.....my body knows how to birth my baby!

The birth of my boys both included interventions for one reason or another, so I've been there and done that! I want a completely "PURE" experience with this birth.

Of course, I'm not going into this with unrealistic expectations and I'm not against intervention if it's a medical emergency, but I am preparing for the best possible chance of achieving the birth experience I desire!

I feel in my heart that natural childbirth is a gift of divine creation. It's a defining moment in our lives , a time when we meet ourselves and allow our greatest potential to be filled. I believe the soul is tied to the experience of childbirth and God uses it in a profound way. Through speaking with women about their natural birth expereince I have learned how amazing, beautiful, and completely encompassed in love natural childbirth can be!

I want a Gentle birth for baby girl. I want her to be born in peace, balance, and harmony with life. The first steps in her new little life and the experience will teach and imprint her deeply.




From a Christian perspective, experiencing natural childbirth gave me a deeper understanding into the meaning of the Bible passage, "But women will be saved through childbearing" (I Tim 2:15) This is not referring to salvation from eternal death, but to something quite different. There are many different interpretations and lines of thought on this passage. But to me it has become clear that God has used the "curse" of the Fall (for man, hard and unproductive labor in their lifework, for women, pain in childbirth) to also be our greatest blessings. Who would deny that men find some of their greatest blessings and self-identity through hard work and discovery/industry/building/etc.? And I know now that women can find some of their deepest grounding, meaning, and self-identity in the pain of childbirth. Our curse has become our blessing.  -unknown



________________________________________________________________
Today we went to Big Brother/Sister class and had a great time! Colby didn't pay much attention..surprise surprise, and when the teacher asked if there were any questions he raised his hand and asked the most important question of all, "can we have one of those cookies now?"

I will have to admit that he had some skills in the diaper changing department...I just might put him to work!!





 Chase didn't quite get his badge in the diaper changing challenge, but he sure knows how to share the love!!

  I was proud of my little graduates!



Until Next Time...............


















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...