Thursday, May 7, 2009

Insights From Parenting Renewal- Tim Kimmel

We went to hear Tim Kimmel ( author of Grace-Based Parenting & Raising Great Kids) last night at Pinelake, and he was so calling me out on so many things. I love to hear things that challenge me to be a better mother, and just more Christ-like in general. He really made me realize the things that are actually important in Colby's life.



Things that stuck in my mind:


  • Our world defines success with beauty, money, and fame. When we view success in such a manner it causes children to be self-absorbed, selfish, and unpleasant people.

  • Jesus Christ was humble and said he didn't come to be served but to serve others. What a profound example to raise our children by. We are here to serve Christ and others, and when we do our life will be a success.

  • I loved when he said that as parents we have to always show grace even in stressful times and we have to treat our children like Christ treats his children. It's easy to show grace when everything is going great but we have to show grace even when things aren't so great. I so agree! How can we hit, scream, and ridicule a child and then expect them to believe we are full of grace and they should be too?

  • Children don't have to be the best at sports, make the best grades, go to the best schools, because none of it will matter in heaven. What will matter is the person they are within!

  • As long as children have security, feel loved, and know they have a purpose in life through Jesus Christ then we don't have to fear everything. I felt like he was talking to me because I fear public schools, the horrible things on TV, peer pressure, ummm pretty much everything. Sometimes I wish I could live on an island with just my family but it's not realistic. It's not meant to be that way because we are here to serve.

  • We shouldn't have to sit down with our children and explain how they need to be kind, generous, humble, giving, and serve others. It's something they should learn naturally by observing the actions and words of their parents.

I really wanted to hear more so I'm going to purchase the books and of course I will share my insights.

If you have never heard Chip Henderson preach at Pinelake then you are missing out! Today I heard the best sermon of my life. I attend Pinelake for bible studies on Tuesdays, but I don't attend Sunday Services. We go to St. Peters but I love to listen to Chip so I'm so thankful that I can hear all his sermons at http://www.pinelake.com/. So, if you miss church and need the word, it's always online.

Please take 30 minutes and listen to this life changing message.

When you're disappointed with yourself

http://vimeo.com/4492433






I have to end with some cute pics! Colby's first encounter with a frog.



















2 comments:

The Webb's said...

I dont know if you remember me but we graduated high school together and i stumbled upon your blog after reading about your signing. I had told some friends about it and i know 1 of them are signed up to start today i think!

My friend Tierney forwarded the email about Tim being at Pinelake that you had sent her and we went....it was AWESOME! I felt like i learned so much from him. My little girl isn't here yet but i want to be able to be best Mom i can be when she gets here. We did purchese his books and i cant wait to read them. Thanks for passing the email along so that we could go.

Sara said...

Found your blog! :) I really enjoyed that service too! I was called out on the fearing public school part. He had so much good stuff to say. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...