Monday, August 17, 2009

Colby at 20 Months

Colby will be 20 months old in a couple of days and that just sounds too close to two! People tell you all the time to enjoy every minute because the time flies by, but you don't understand until you actually experience it. It really does seem like yesterday that I was picking out things for his nursery and now I'm doing the same for Christopher Chase and Colby has become little Mr. Independent!


He has to do everything on his on, even climb into his high chair. He snuck a bite to eat while we were saying the blessing, that little stinker!




I really think he is part monkey! We thought we were ready for a toddler bed because he climbed out of his crib but we changed our mind after a week. Colby goes to sleep on his own without making a peep, but the toddler bed made him a maniac! It's crazy because it's the same bed just converted with a new front rail but oh nooooo noooo.....you would have thought we put him in bat cave. It was taking two hours to get him to sleep and it was exhausting. We knew we were never going to put him in the bed with us so the only other option was to cave in and put the crib back together. He was so happy and content to have his bed back, he hasn't even attempted to climb out again. He loves his crib and I guess he considers it his little safe haven.

Colby now talks up a storm and is trying to say three word sentences and signs anything he can't pronounce. I think it's such a blessing because I know exactly what he is saying because he says and signs the word at the same time. There are some words that I wouldn't have a clue he was saying if it wasn't for signing. He has over 400 signs and he learns new ones everyday! I'm so thrilled that he isn't dropping signs now that he talks well. Most children will drop the sign after they can verbalize the word, but I have encouraged him to continue signing because the intellectual benefits are tremendous and it's a second language that he can use the rest of his life!



We went to story time at the library this morning and he checked out some books. I got to the red light and saw him signing all the animals in the book so I got some pics. I can really see how signing makes children so interested in books!

Monkey
Bear
Kangaroo

Cat



Potty Training

I think potty training is going well but we do have several issues. He will tt in the potty all day at home but he won't in public. Why.........you are probably asking, because he won't use the big potty UGHHHHH. He will only use his little potty so what the mess am I'm suppose to do? Should I carry around his potty on my hip everywhere we go, ummm NO! Another issue, he thinks tt goes in potty and poo poo goes in his underwear. After he poops in his underwear he comes to tell me poo poo mama, lovely right? So if you have always read my blogs then you know we did the early start potty training:



well.....the concept is to start sitting your baby on the potty once he/she can sit up on their own and always let them see you put their poop in the potty so they aren't ever afraid to sit on the potty, eliminate in the potty, and they don't think it's normal to eliminate on themselves. He did great from the beginning and between the ages of 9-13 months old he only pooped in his diaper about 2-3 times a month. A baby is not going to be potty trained but it's to prepare them to be completely trained between the ages of 15 months and 2 years old. But, the whole idea was to not be afraid to poop in the potty and Colby is, so what the heck????? Will I do it with the next child, ummmm probably not. If it was a girl maybe so but not with another boy. I will probably wait and start with Chase around 15 months. I do think Colby will be completely potty trained by two, but do I think it's worth all the time and effort to early-start potty train, I'm still indecisive (especially since he is afraid to poop in the potty).

Flashback Pic
10 months old

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...