Monday, August 10, 2009

First Trip to the Dentist

I was indecisive about where to take Colby to the dentist, but I decided on Dr. Beaver in Madison because I knew the dental assistant. They are not in network with our insurance so I might have to switch because it looks like we might have some expensive procedures in the future. He had his teeth polished and checked while screaming and me holding his arms down, of course. The doctor said his teeth looked great and no cavities, woohoo! He better not because it's a job holding him down every night to get his little canines clean! They suggested flossing the teeth that are touching and I thought "yea right" but he actually lets us do it. We did receive some bad news. We have noticed lately that he always has his tongue out of his mouth and he sucks on it, but we never assumed it was a big problem. Well......it's called tongue thrusting and if he doesn't stop then it will cause jaw, teeth, and speech problems. Some children grow out of it and most don't without help. He will have to get some type of bracket on the roof of his mouth so he will learn the proper positioning of the tongue.I just pray he out grows it but if he doesn't then it's all in God's plan. He also has to get skin clipped between his two front teeth because it's attached to his upper lip and it's causing a gap in his front teeth.

Ugh, a little discouraging.............well at least no cavities, I have to be positive about something hehe!










See the tongue



His prize he picked out.......................he got one even though he was bad hehe!


2 comments:

Anna said...

Elise has issues with her teeth too. Plus, she ran into a table a few weeks ago and chipped one of her FRONT teeth! And, no one will do anything about it because it's not a "major problem". Even if it turns grey (which, thank goodness it hasn't and hopefully never will) they won't do anything. We'll spending alot on her mouth as well!

As for the flossing, Elise LOVES to floss her teeth! They have those little individual flossers and there are some kid design ones also (like dinosaurs, princess, etc.) I bet Colby would love those!

Amy Perry Smith said...

I had to wear the thing at the top of my mouth (which worked) and was told to clip my gums for the space (which my parents didn't). I did have to wear braces, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...