Monday, August 3, 2009

Colby's Big Boy Bed

I had planned on Colby staying in his crib until he was almost three (ha wishful thinking), but he had other plans. I put him to bed and about 10 minutes later I heard his door knob jiggling. I opened his bedroom door and there he was starring at me. He walked right past me and went to the living room to play with his toys. I guess he thinks he makes the decisions around here LOL! I sang our song and put him back to bed and he went to sleep. The next day he attempted the same escape but it wasn't as graceful. I looked at the monitor and saw him laying across the top rail and when he let go his chin slammed into the rail and then he landed flat on his back. I ran in to get him and he was so upset. He had a mark under his chin which was later a bruise and he had a horrible bite on his tongue from hitting the rail. I knew it was time to convert the bed to a toddler bed. I really thought the transition would be fine since it's the same bed just a different rail, but it didn't go as smooth as I intended.
Chris had drill and the bed needed to be converted that day so my dad came to help me out.
Colby is all about using his pretend tools and fixing everything so of course he helped my dad convert the bed.








He loved his bed until it was bedtime. We did our usual routine; story, song, hugs & kisses and then lay down, but he quickly jumped up and had a panic attack! I kept putting him back in his bed and he kept getting right back out. I couldn't take seeing him so upset so I decided to lay in the bed with him. Even worse, he kept signing "I Love You" "sorry" and he kept saying no no no no ( ugh just stab me in the heart). I kept saying I love you too and kept trying to explain it's the same bed and it's night night time. He cried and cried and cried and finally fell asleep an hour later. He slept from 8-7:00 but I woke up all night watching the monitor to make sure he didn't get out of his bed. The next day for nap Chris layed down with him and he only cried for about 5 mins and went to sleep.

I got these cute pics from the monitor

He tried to slip out but Colby woke up so he had to lay there a little while longer.


So.... tonight he didn't cry at all but I did have to lay down with him for about 10 mins, and then I slipped out quietly. We are making progress and hopefully our routine will be back to normal soon but now we won't have to fear him climbing out of his crib and breaking a body part. I just pray I'm not still laying down with him when he is 5 years old.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Oh girl, same on my end. We put Elise in a "big girl" bed (AKA transition from crib to toddler bed...same bed, different rail) because she was climbing out too. We were always able to just lay her down and not worry about a thing. She would go right to sleep. Now, however, one of us HAS to lay on the floor beside her and hold her hand. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I hope she grows out of it soon. Audrey was the same way for about 3-4 months but one night, it just ended.

I wish I could give you some advice on how to comfort him as he makes this "big boy" transition but I can't. I need the advice too! Ha ha! Good luck with your little one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...