Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Legacy of Love, Parenting on Purpose

Okay...I'm a little disappointed in myself because I promised insights from A Legacy of Love, Parenting on Purpose by Tim Kimmel and I have failed to do so. I have been so tired lately and after Colby goes to bed at 7:00, I'm usually right behind him. I kept checking the book out and I had all the important things marked so I could share insights, but when I went to check it out for the third time they told me that was the limit (that's pretty bad huh?). I didn't get to share all the great insights but each chapter had a list of ideas and I wrote them down so I would remember to use them in the future.


How to teach Integrity

Drive the speed limit
Never ask your child to lie for you
Apologize when you wrong your children
Send them to a store with money when they come out see if they offer the change Deal with them accordingly

Never tolerate even the smallest lie
Fathers never allow your sons to be disrespectful or rude to their mother
Have them memorize 20 verses on integrity

Poise
Teach your children to fight fair Ephesians 4:25-32
Have your children write thank you notes to people who help them teacher, friend, pastor

Teach proper etiquette at dinner
Teach your child how to do their own laundry
Father take your daughter through a fashion magazine and discuss modesty
Have a father-daughter date mother son date to coach appropriate actions and conversations
At a game see how an umpire makes a bad call and discuss peoples reactions

Discipline
Take your children to juvenile court to listen to cases and discuss consequences
Study a musical instrument long enough to learn discipline of practice
Enroll in a sport and never miss practice or games
Assign daily chores and hold them responsible
Tithe every Sunday from their allowance
Make sure they complete homework
Have them write to missionary once a month
Give them an alarm clock and make them responsible for waking up for school. If their late for school do not write them an excuse
Help them memorize an elaborate poem
Take them to a junk yard and discuss vehicles in alcohol accidents




I can't say it enough go get the book, it's so worth your time!! I plan to read a few of his other books:

Grace-Based Parenting
Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child


Why Christian Kids Rebel: Trading Heartache for Hope


Raising Kids Who Turn Out Right

Hopefully I will do a better job with sharing insights from these books!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...