Friday, December 17, 2010

Gifts of Grace- Acts 20:35

I was listening to Klove one day during the Outlive Your Life book study and I was so moved! It really made me reflect on my life and the use of time that God has given me here on Earth. I know that my purpose is to do God's will and serve others, but I know I'm guilty of worldly distractions. I often wonder if I'm doing my job or am I just wasting time? Am I serving others enough? Am I bringing others to Christ? Am I living a purpose driven life? Am I making a contribution that will outlive my life? Do I waste God's time with watching TV, facebook, trying to keep my house just right..........even though I hate to admit it, I know the answer is yes!

After hearing countless stories throughout the book study, I heard God's message loud and clear! I assumed there were families in my town that were struggling to buy Christmas for their children so I began to organize a toy drive. I chose a name I felt fitting.......Gifts of Grace and based it on
Acts 20:35

 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive. ”

I placed toy drop-off boxes and applications at local schools and central areas throughout town. I expected 4 or 5 families to apply so you can imagine what I was feeling when the eighteenth application was submitted, equaling a little over 50 children!
I was experiencing a mix of emotions....

FEAR- that we would not receive enough donations for 50 children ( I trusted the Lord when he said, "worry about nothing, pray about everything.")

SAD- to know so many families just in my little town are broken!

FOOLISH- for thinking Colby needed so many gifts when children down the road wouldn't have ONE gift at all.

DISAPPOINTED- that I didn't do something sooner.

HONORED- that God was working through me!

HUMBLED- BY THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE!

All this is not being said to toot my own horn because I give God all the glory for Gifts of Grace. I share my story to let you know that it takes very little to make a big difference in the lives of others.

I put out boxes, made fliers, took applications, sorted toys, and organized a pick-up day.....that's it!! It only takes a tiny bit of effort for God to do his thing, and he definitely showed out through Gifts of Grace!

I believe it was more of a blessing for me than the families who received help! It was so heart warming to see the good in this world when we often only hear of the evil!  Families in our community reached out and adopted children, Sunday school classes and RRC daycare were extremely generous with donations, and the schools went above and beyond the call of duty.

Florence High School really made a difference for so many families this Christmas. The annual staff, FCA, and softball team all adopted families, the annual staff even granted one little boy's wish for a bike!

We started sorting all the toys the night before pick up and noticed that several older children only had one or two gifts and it wasn't even an item from their wish list.

You better believe God meant business when he said........

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find, knock and the door will  be opened to you" Luke 11:9

We asked and we received!!
One man felt the desire to donate $275 so we headed to Walmart and made some final purchases. It made such a big difference but $275 didn't quite get everything we needed, and I had another family call to see if it was too late to get help...we were running out of time!

I went home feeling great but wishing we could do more! I woke up ready for pick-up day and you won't believe what happened next............

There was a check in my mailbox for $200. It was donated from a sweet lady who just lost her baby to SIDS and she sold shirts in her son's name and donated the proceeds........what an awesome mom!

Next, I got a phone call from a teacher at Florence High who wanted to meet and give me $400.........yes, I was floored! FHS had a dance the night before to raise money for Gifts of Grace.....did  I mention this little town RoCkS!!!!

WOW!! We knocked and God opened some big doors!!

We were able to grant the wishes of all 50 children and their parents were unbelievably grateful!

My heart felt a joy that I wish I could experience on a daily basis! I'm not sure what got to me more.....

The mom that couldn't speak and had tears rolling down her cheeks when she saw a doll house for her daughter (she wanted one last year but they just couldn't afford it),

The mom that jumped up and down about Toy Story 3 because its the only thing her son requested,

or all the heart felt thank-yous and warm hugs that seemed to last forever!

They all got to me, but not like the phone call I received this week....

Hello!

Hey Amanda, this is __________.

Hello! Whats going on?

I was calling to get your address.

Oh okay! it's ___________ but I really don't want you to send anything, not even a thank-you note. This was all to the glory of God and he just used us to carry out his plan!

Well, I really want to send you a picture of my children on Christmas morning since this will be the best Christmas they have ever had!

(sniff sniff) I would love that!



Merry  Christmas to all and remember.............JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!






Let God use you in a big way that will outlive your life!!


Until Next Time............

2 comments:

Leslie said...

God is so AMAZING!! Every day He amazes me with His love, grace and beauty. Thanks for being one of His vessels this Christmas, and for being an inspiration to the rest of us!

Alicia said...

Amanda, Thank you for being so obedient to God and following his will! I cried while reading this because it breaks my heart to know that so many people have so little. It makes me sit back and realize that I am blessed and I am to bless others! I thank God for giving you a heart for others! May God Bless you and your family during this holiday season! And always remember the true reason for the season!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...