Thursday, July 12, 2012

Squashing Stinky Tantrums

Putting on shoes is an arduous task for Chase, it literally gets his blood boiling. While at the park, he was attempting to accomplish the tedious task that continuously works his last little nerve, when he lost all control and shouted, "I so aney!"

I can tell you are feeling angry, and I'm so sorry. Would you like me to help?

As I began to assist my little aney man with his shoes, a sweet mom approached me with a bewildered expression and asked, "did he say he was angry?"

Yes, shoes get him worked up!

How old is he?

Two.

My two year old doesn't tell me how he feels in words, just shows me through tantrums.


It really got me thinking about how well Chase verbalizes his feelings for a two year old, and how he isn't a big fan of tantrums........

He tells me he is sad when Colby is away.

He tells me is frustrated when he can't do something for himself.

He tells me he is scared of the dark.

He tells me he is upset when I won't let him play the IPAD.

He tells me he is tired when he wants to nap.

He also tells me when he is happy, my favorite!

Chase isn't more in touch with his feelings than any other two year old, I have just always offered him words to express his feelings and encouraged him by saying, "use your words, please" if I saw some big emotions starting to surface.

I didn't come up with this bright idea, I stumbled upon it when I was searching for positive discipline methods for Colby. My little, spirited child has BIG emotions, and I once read the more words you give a child to express emotions, the more they use them as an outlet, as opposed to expressing them through behavior, AKA...tantrums!

Since this was a game plan already set in motion when Chase was a baby, I wasn't even aware of the benefits it is apparently having on Chase, until a stranger pointed out the obvious!

High five for expressing feelings and squashing some stinky tantrums!


Until Next Time....





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...