Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Surgery Success!!

I got a call from the hospital that Chase's surgery was rescheduled for August 24, a month earlier than expected. I had mixed emotions, glad to get it over with but anxious that my baby was going under the knife in a few short days.

I was extremely concerned that Chase wouldn't be able to nurse after midnight........that's asking a lot from a baby, especially one that insist on filling his tummy at the moment his eyes crack open. When Chase is hungry, he has evident cues.......he will actually dig his head into my chest and pull on my shirt. I was dreading him trying to communicate his need and me not being able to meet it, I knew it would make me cry! I prayed about it and amazingly, he woke up content as can be....ask and you shall receive!!

We got to the hospital at 6:30 and....
Chasey Poo was all smiles!!

We were sent to a room and had to gown him up......
I don't guess they have blue for boys??
He looked so angelic....like a baby doll!

At this point he wanted to nurse so I wasn't able to hold him......me holding him is like hanging a steak over a dog's head and expecting him not to attack it.

We had to use distraction, a little sight seeing....
watch eating...
and he finally fell asleep in Daddy's arms!

I knew the time was approaching very quickly and they were about to come for Chase. I have never experienced such emotions. He is an extension of me, a part of my heart, my life........and I had to hand him over to strangers. Strangers that were about to pick and prod at his tiny little body and put him in a possibly dangerous situation......extremely unnerving.

I hugged him as tight as possible and then handed him over to the nurse. He never made a whimper and as she turned and made her way to the OR he lifted his little head over her shoulder and didn't take his eyes off us until he went through the doors.....I couldn't hold back the tears anymore at that point! I honestly can't imagine how parents survive when their child has cancer or some type of illness that requires treatment over and over again.....God love them for what they have to endure.

I was on cloud nine when the doctor came out and said, "I'm done, everything went great (Yes, that means he came out with TWO buddies), you can come on back!" I literally was skipping down the hall and couldn't get to him quick enough!

When I entered the room, he was arching his back and was quite combative but not for long, I had just the cure! The best thing about breastfeeding is, it's the miracle cure.......  instant gratification for any situation that requires comfort!
Chase immediately had a calm over his body and made the sweetest coos of contentment, as if he was saying, "everything is okay now!"
He was back in my arms...everything was right with the world again!!

Happy to be going home......trying to smile through the
grogginess but....
 quickly lost the battle!
Boys always want their Mommy when they don't feel good!! He has lived on my chest since he got home yesterday afternoon!
At least I get some major cuddle time!!!

Until Next Time.....

2 comments:

Ashley said...

i have had four surgery days between the two kids and they are so freakin nerve racking! all 4 times, my boys were breastfeeding (around the clock) and those were the 4 times that either of them had "randomly" not woken up to nurse after midnight. God is so good to us!

Now, imagine the anesthesiologist (while you are holding your gowned, soon-to-be-hauled-off-with-strangers 16 month old baby) trying to make you feel bad about "still" nursing ....GRRRRRRRRR.... momma bear is STILL mad about that. i just wanted to say "You just watch how much more comforted he is than your usual patients who are given juice bottles by the nurses!" i mean, does he really think the two are the same thing? RIDICULOUS!

Kosek Landing said...

So glad that everything went well! Tears came to my eyes picturing little man peaking up over the nurses shoulder to watch you and Chris...here they come again!

Hope you guys are doing well! We have to get together next week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...