Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bye Bye Binky :(

Caution: If your child has a lovey that he is insanely attached to, this might make you cry.

Colby has had a best friend since he was about 3 months old. His name is Binky and he has been through everything with Colby. Colby has never gone to bed without him, wouldn't even hear of it. Binky has accompanied Colby on every outing/event such as; doctors appointments, dentist, hair cut, story time, road trips, play dates, etc.


If he felt bad, Binky made him better


If he was uncomfortable in a new place, Binky was his familiar friend


If he was mad, Binky made him happy


If he was cranky during a car ride, Binky made it tolerable


If he was scared to do something, Binky gave him confidence


Colby found comfort in rubbing on Binky's tag (the print was obsolete at this point) and as soon as he rubbed Binky on his face he was fast asleep!

Like I said...where Colby went Binky was sure to go!
We went to Walmart and Chris and Colby played in the toy section while I printed out some pictures. We have no idea how or when but Colby actually dropped Binky but was obviously too distracted to pick him up. We went to another store and it hit Colby like a brick wall..............where is my Binky? He started screaming, "Binky Binky Binky???"


When I saw the look on Chris's face I knew it was bad. He remembered Colby had Binky when we walked in Walmart and realized he must have dropped him somewhere along the way. I immediately called Walmart customer service and was told Binky had not been turned in.........you can imagine the panic setting in at this point. I called my mom while on the verge of tears and explained the situation. She went to Walmart and searched everywhere and asked every worker, but no luck. My stomach was in knots, and I finally sat down and cried like a baby.


Just imagine.....


Your child has something that comforts him/her in every way and it vanishes. My heart was completely broken and all I could picture in my head was him screaming all night at bedtime......after all, he has slept with Binky for 730 nights!!!

I remembered my Pediatrician telling me that loveys were excellent for children in so many ways and she advised me never to take it away, so I was scared of the emotional damage he might endure.


I ran to Chase's room and grabbed the lovey I had purchased for him. Chris told Colby that since he turned two, baby Binky had to go bye bye and now he had a Big Boy Binky (it was very convenient that he turned 2 a few days ago) . We jumped up and down clapping and tried to make a really big deal of Big Boy Binky!


I was completely astonished when it actually worked. Bedtime came and he asked for Binky (I teared up again) and Chris reminded him that he now had a Big Boy Binky and Colby said, "Binky went bye bye". I watched Colby on the monitor and he repeatedly waved to the door saying bye bye Binky and then he rubbed Big Boy Binky on his face and fell asleep.


I thanked the Lord for the amazing transition that still had me speechless. I felt relieved for Chris because he blamed himself and felt awful awful awful.


I know it sounds crazy but I feel sorry for Binky. Binky was special to us and now we have no idea where Binky sleeps at night. I hope that another child found him and loves him as much as Colby loved him for the past two years!


A few memories of Binky


Story time





First Bike ride with mommy





First Christmas


1st birthday

9 months old






Chris and I were watching videos last night and he even had Binky in his arm when he rolled over for the first time at 3 months old, sniff sniff :( .

Introducing Big Boy Binky







3 comments:

Kosek Landing said...

You were right...that was a tear jerker. Poor little Binky, Colby, Amanda, and Chris...I think everyone had an emotional day. You guys handled it like real pros and it sounds like everything worked out fine.

I love that you guys watched family videos last night...such fun Christmas, family time.

Merry Christmas to you guys!

Lyn Warren said...

Aw! That's was so sad... So glad everything worked out for y'all. Your both awesome parents:)

Candise said...

I know exActly what u mean!!! T has a lamb and when he goes missing my heart sinks. Dread the day we'll have to replace him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...