Monday, January 25, 2010

The Birth of Christopher Chase Jones

As you know my goal this time around was to deliver Chase naturally.

Did it go as planned? Well let me start from the beginning.

Thursday night I felt slight leaking and assumed it was my water. I figured it would completely rupture at any moment, and I was starting to get very anxious. I continued to leak all night and the next morning when I picked Colby up, out came enough water to cause me to change panties but I still wasn't sure if my entire bag ruptured. I called Chris around 9:00am, and told him to come home from work because I had a good feeling that Chase was getting ready to make his grand entrance! Chris got home around 9:30 to occupy Colby while I took a shower and checked everything off my to-do list.

I was having sporadic contractions but nothing consistent. I called my nurse (she is a friend of mine and was on call, so it worked out perfect) and she said to come to the hospital around noon and get checked out because I could be at risk for infection since my water had been leaking for some time.

Since I intended on going natural, the plan was to stay at home until my contractions were 4 mins apart.

Why...

A hospital is not conducive for natural birth because it's very difficult to get comfortable with a drip in your arm, monitor on your tummy, and the most uncomfortable bed ever.....not to mention I would be confined to my room because it's slightly frowned upon to walk the halls and leak amniotic fluid all over the floors LOL!

A birthing center would have been ideal but we live in Mississippi.....not an option.

It was now 1:00 and I had little progress. Chris and I decided to take a walk around the block and see if I could get Chase to put a little pep in his step! After walking, I began to have contractions about 10 mins apart but still nothing to cause us to get into a rush.

It was now 2:00 and my Dr. said to quit being stubborn and get to the hospital because he was concerned about infection. We took a few last pictures of our family of three and said goodbye to Colby and told him we were going to get Chase. He told me to go push him out and then he shared his cars with Chase hehe!




We got to the hospital around 2:30 and I was only dilated 2.5 cm. I knew this wasn't good.

My doctor said it had been way too long after my water broke to only be 2.5cm. He suggested starting pitocin to get the show on the road. He advised me that I would feel much more guilty about me and the baby getting an infection than I would about getting an epidural. Chris and I had previously decided that if I had to get pitocin then I would get an epidural since pitocin causes the contractions to be so much more intense. The Dr. said he would give me a small dose so I decided to at least try to still go natural and see if I could handle the contractions.


Several hours went by and contractions got stronger and about 5 mins apart.

I started trying to relax in the tub and on my birthing ball





Chris was absolutely wonderful and the best coach ever! He encouraged me and went out of his way to make me comfortable. Contractions started getting about 2 mins apart and it felt like my behind was ripping apart....literally.
So, I got out of the tub and tried to get comfortable on the bed. Chris rubbed my lower back to help alleviate the pain. The pain became overwhelming no matter what relaxing technique I tried.

At this point I was around 8cm and I could barely speak to tell Chris that I wanted an epidural but I got the words out and he quickly ran for help LOL! The anesthesiologist could not get there for another 30 mins and I wanted to scream, "are you serious?" I knew I had to remain calm and try to relax or the pain would increase (all though I didn't see how it could get any worse).

If I would have known that my labor wouldn't be much longer I think I could have dealt with the pain but all I kept thinking about was my friend that took nine hours to dilate from 6 to 1o and it put me in panic mode. She dealt with it and went natural, I now have an unbelievable respect for her!!
The anesthesiologist arrived, and I never thought I would be so excited to see someone coming to stick an enormous needle into my spine. I had to sit perfectly still as if I didn't feel like my insides were about to explode. I couldn't have done it without Chris.....I think I almost squeezed his arms off.

I didn't even feel the epidural.

ahhhhhhh instant relief


I called my best friends Angie & Crystal to give the update and they gave me the most encouraging words that I soooo needed to hear at the moment.....I love them!


I even felt like taking a picture with my Sis.....



and mom

before the epidural I didn't even want to hear the sound of voices

I bet Chris felt relieved......he was working hard.


After the epidural, my body relaxed and Chase was born within the hour. I pushed three times and I was about to push for the fourth time and he just fell out on his own ( I guess he was tired of waiting on me). The Dr. only snipped my scar tissue from my first episiotomy and I only had two stitches.........hallelujah! The next day I could walk fine and I felt no pain, unlike my episiotomy with Colby. I remember thinking what the mess went on down there and why in the world did my nurse stick this crazy light between my legs.........wait, I don't care because it feels so darn great?


Born at 11:27 p.m.
6.12 lbs
18.5 in
daddy cutting the cord









It was the best delivery I could ever imagine!


Did it go as planned? No

Did it go perfect? Yes

I really wanted to go natural but my situation wasn't ideal, and I felt like I made the right decision. I assumed I would feel like a failure if I got the epidural so I had been praying for peace about the outcome. God gave me instant peace and it allowed me to focus on my sweet baby boy that he just placed in my arms!

I don't regret my attempt to go natural.

Why?
I prepared my body for natural birth and I still reaped the benefits

It allowed Chris and I to experience something special together as a couple....especially teamwork

I was also able to hold out longer on the drugs and Chase came out wide-eyed and alert which helped him to latch on and breastfeed successfully.
Well at least I like to believe that's why he came out alert....let me have it, I deserve it.

Private Transitional Care

I believe the first few hours are vital for mother-baby bonding so Chris and I decided to pay extra for a private nurse so Chase would never have to leave our room. It was amazing and worth every penny. He layed on my chest skin-to-skin and no one was rushing our bonding time by trying to take my baby away for 3 hours. I kept putting him to the breast and after about 20 mins (when he was ready) he latched on and nursed like a champ. I felt so blessed at the moment and thanked God for my answered prayer. When Colby was born I felt very rushed to nurse, he didn't latch on immediately, and then they took him from me during the most important time. I wasn't given the opportunity to nurse again for several hours and it took many many many days for him to learn how to latch on and nurse well. I think so many breastfeeding difficulties would be eliminated if the mother and baby were left alone and allowed the appropriate bonding time. I felt like Chase should be with his mother, not in a nursery with strangers. I think in-room transitional care should be available to every mommy with no extra charge but even if it isn't free..........I sooooo recommend paying the fee, it's worth it!



My wonderful friend and best nurse in the world, Morgan!
My Boys
JoJo & Gammy


Coach

Dr. Gebhart

PawPaw Mike

Future Buddies.......Kale & Gray






Look at my little peanut, he is so tiny!


On the way home




"From the fullness of grace we have received one blessing after another” - John 1:16

8 comments:

Sara said...

I'm sooooo proud of you and Chris and Chase! That leaking water and risk of infection really did put a kink in the works, for sure. I am completely confident that if you had been able to dilate on your own without pitocin or risk of infection that you would have gone natural all the way. Next time. No question in my mind that Chase's alertness was because you waited to get the epidural. Again, I'm so proud. Good job mama!

Kosek Landing said...

I love, love, love a birth story! Chase is a doll, and your family is just precious! I'm so proud of you guys!

Candise said...

Amanda!! I am so proud of you for going as long as you could!! That is so awesome. You'll definitely be ready when #3 comes!!! For sure!! Enjoy your sweet boys- I would have a 4th if I knew it would be another boy and of course if jim wanted #4!! So happy and proud if you!

Abby Nelson said...

He is absolutly beautiful Amanda!! You did a great job!

Amanda Jones said...

Thanks ladies for the sweet words....it means a lot!

Anna said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful! Your family is beautiful! The boys look alot alike!

Ashley said...

seriously, after going natural in mississippi, i swore i would never go natural (in mississippi) again! they are so friggin uptight here, it's ridiculous! it's like they don't believe the baby will actually come out without their "help"! my attitude this time is: "been there, done that, got the tee-shirt." i probably won't ever go natural again unless i have access to a birth center or a natural-friendly hospital (like i had with my first birth). the odds were definitely stacked against you; i'm just so proud and impressed that you made it to 8! (8 totally sucks, does it not???) i still you did enough to be a member of "the club"! sounds like a beautiful birth experience, which is the ultimate goal!

Carly said...

What a great story. It sounds like you did as natural as you could with where you were. I think the doctors and place play a huge part. I just wish all docs would stop trying to cover their ass and let birth happen. I'm pretty sure there is little to no risk of infection when your water breaks so I hate that they say that. And all the drips and monitoring that they make you do are so not necessary. Seems like you know what to do, you are after all built to do this. I hope some change comes to MS for your next (if there is one).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...