Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Love- All Else is Hogwash!

Living in a small, Mississippi town in 1994 was hard times for my sister. At seventeen she was a fun-loving girl, well-liked, and could out play most boys in just about any sport....to this day people still talk about her athleticism- she was a red-headed, spit fire that could play ball!

 She pretended to be happy and devote all her time to athletics, but then there came a point when living a lie was just more than she could bare, she was done.  Revealing her true self made her life spiral out of control, after all being GAY makes you a different person, right?  A person that should no longer be popular but mocked, no longer be your friend but an outcast, and no longer be someone that is accepted. I was only twelve years old, but I remember the gossip, the gossip that kept Carrie up crying at night, the gossip that became the culprit of arguments in our home, and the gossip that my mom prayed would just go away. Gossip can be the devil himself.

It was all shameful.

I wish I could say that I was different from all the others, but I'm not sure I was. I felt embarrassed when people would say- I heard your sister is gay, how gross!  I often became very defensive and deep down I was angry at my sister for making me have to deal with it, I was a pretty self-absorbed twelve year old.

Carrie couldn't escape the ridicule or the feelings of disappointment she was causing our family, that is until she got lost in alcohol and drugs. She found a group of accepting friends and together they shut the world out with anything that relieved pain.

A nightmare that began so long ago seems to be subsiding, Carrie's addiction led her down a dark road and in the end took her freedom, but she is clean, she is healing, and she was saved! The elation in her voice was unforgettable when she exclaimed- I said the prayer!

This week we find out how long she will be absent from our daily lives. We aren't praying for the shortest sentence, but just that God's will be done! As I was running today, I started playing the
what-if game.....what if I would have been more accepting at that time. What if my reaction would have been............

You are gay? Thanks for being honest! I'm here for you!  No matter what your lifestyle choices are, I'm proud to be your sister and I love you! I choose to love you right where you are, not who I think you should be!

I know that's why God made it clear that the greatest commandment is love. It wasn't my place to judge, only love.....I was foolish. Of course, I made it known to her as the years passed but what damage was already done?

As I open my heart up and get all these thoughts out, I glance over at my sweet, sleeping babies and I make a promise to them-


I will love and accept you no matter what, RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE!

Then I whispered in their ear-

Love is the greatest commandment and all else is hogwash, don't ever be foolish like mommy once was!

Until Next Time............

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...