Thursday, March 26, 2009

Colby's 15 Month Checkup

Chris and I took Colby for his checkup today and he got his last shots until 2 years old, YAY!!! He weighed exactly 25 lbs and was 32 inches, so he was in the 50% for weight and 75% in height.
That still cracks me up since I'm a whopping 5'2 and Chris is 5'9, I guess it won't be long before I'm looking up to him.

She was shocked that he had over 60 signs because that means his vocabulary is more than triple the average. The reason Joseph Garcia started research on the benefits of signing is because he noticed that children of deaf parents communicated at such an early age and they had advanced vocabularies. He started Sign2Me and has many great products to help you sign with your baby. http://www.sign2me.com/

This starter kit is great! I have a few of these if you would like to purchase it through me so you can avoid shipping cost. $49.95



After the nurse gave him the shots he signed "go" and pointed to the door. Thank goodness she thought it was funny and not rude!


The only thing I had on my question list this visit was concerning his passy. Should I take it away? Is it too early? Will I cause him to be insecure if I take it away? Will it mess up his teeth? Will it delay speech? You know all the things you hear and read about pacifiers.

Her answer:
Do it now and do it cold turkey. At his age he will be mad for 2 or 3 days and he will be over it. If you wait longer then it will be harder. Don't take it away and then change your mind because he won't understand why you caused him distress and then gave it back and it will also teach him that if he just screams loud and long enough then he will get it back. So, make sure you do it when you are really ready to go through a few rough days. It won't cause him any insecure problems, certain pacifiers will cause damage to the teeth, and it drives me insane to see three year olds talking around a passy, so I don't think it's great for speech.

Well then, my stomach is hurting as I think about it! Colby absolutely LOVES his passy. At one point I was taking it away during the day and he got it out of his bed and ever since then he holds onto it it all day long to make sure I don't try that again, ha! I can't imagine how he will ever fall asleep without it. I don't think I can do it cold turkey because he needs it at night. Starting tomorrow I won't give it to him during the day and then I will go from there. Please feel free to give me any advice that might help.

Colby is becoming more and more verbal everyday. He tries to repeat anything we tell him to say and sometimes it's pretty close and other times it's like, What in the world? The funniest part is, he looks at us like "what's so funny I just said the word correctly", hehe?
When we got done saying our prayers tonight Colby said, "amen" (so sweet).

His new favorite sign is "OK". Every time he gets hurt he looks at me and finger spells OK, I love it! It's another connection to literacy because he already knows two letters and can spell a word. I know it's the easiest word ever, but hey... we'll take it.



Cooper Scott Neely Arrived Sunday morning. He was a big boy weighing 9.4 lbs and 21 in. You are probably thinking OMG that's big and thank goodness for epidurals, but poor Angie didn't make it to the hospital in enough time to get an epidural. It was a really tough labor with altercations and his heart rate dropped and it became a scary situation. She said all she remembers in the end was praying for God to help her and he did. She brought Cooper home Wednesday but she is still in a lot of pain and the recovery will take longer than normal. She has been put on bed rest, so a friend and I are trying to prepare meals for her and the family. If you would like to prepare a meal to help out I will be glad to deliver it for you, just give me a call.

Big Brother Conner
















Yesterday was our last sign class for this session so we went to eat at Sal & Mookies afterwards.














well, at least I got Colby's booty in the shot















Colby, Sofia, Reagan, Bradley, & Mickey

Not everyone was there for the class picture, sorry Ella, Will, Mia & Joshua.

















































1 comment:

Alicia said...

Hey, we don't know each other, I happen to stumble across your blog through a friends blog. But I wanted to leave you a comment on the passy situation! My youngest child, now 4, was completely attached to his passy! I couldn't even count how many we had floating around because he had to have it at ALL times! I took his away about the same age as your little boy!!! It was really rough the first 2 days but after that it wasn't bad. Like you, I started taking it away during the day and giving it to him only at night for bed, and then I got up the courage to take it away at night. He cried for about 2 hours the first night, which is hard, but it does get better. By the next night he didn't cry as long, and the third night was better and so forth! Keep your head up it is hard, but there is light at the end of the tunnel! Sorry to be nosey on your blog, but I wanted to share! And I love the idea of signing. I have always had an interest in signing, just never did anything about it. I have thought about it recently but again still haven't done anything about it! Alicia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...