Thursday, July 29, 2010

Big Brother Love

I use to believe I seldom get sick because of my healthy diet, staying active, taking vitamins, etc., but I have come to the conclusion that I'm wrong! God says he will never give us more than we can handle, and I believe he knows I don't handle sick very well...hehe!! Not only do I not handle sick well AT ALL, I'm really under the assumption that someone has put a sick curse on me!

Every time Mr. Sick pays me a visit along comes Mr. Bad Timing to keep him company! The last three times Mr. Sick decided to grace me with his presence.....

1. When I was pregnant with Colby and at the beach for a friend's wedding......who gets sick at the beach??

2. When I was 6 months pregnant with Chase and caring for a wild toddler...ON MY BIRTHDAY! Again, who gets sick on their birthday???

3. This time definitely takes the trophy home!! Strep throat with a nursing 6 month old during the time that I have to take my grandmother to radiation and a planned weekend get away quickly approaching in just a few days! I started getting a sore throat around noon Sunday and little did I know, Sunday lunch would be my last meal for a while! I went to a shower that I was hosting and felt my throat getting worse, but I couldn't miss Ashley's shower and I had to deliver this adorable cake...
I know! I'm so proud of myself and the tedious work I put into making this cake!!

Ha! Gotcha for a minute didn't I.....no, I didn't make it, but I really do want to learn how to make cakes, it's my next goal! Chris laughed and told me that if I make a cake and sell it before December 19th that he would purchase me a day at the spa......I guess he doesn't have much confidence in me since we all know Chris is Mr. Frugal!

Anyway, I'm getting way off track...focus Amanda!

Sunday night my throat was hurting so bad that I was on the verge of drooling because I didn't won't to swallow my saliva...it hurt too bad. I would close my eyes, squeeze something, swallow, and try not to cry...yes, it hurt that bad. I would rather have labor pains....well labor pains at 3 or 4cm not labor pains at 7 or 8cm, UGHHH.....just cringed thinking about those!

It got so bad that during the night I almost went to the emergency room thinking my throat was about to close up. I made it through the night without a visit to the ER, but I was waiting at the doctor's doorstep 15 minutes before opening the next morning.

The nurse looked down my throat and immediately said, "oh gosh, Yes you have Strep. She called the intern over and said, "do you want to see what a bad case of strep looks like?"

Sure! Ewwww!

I guess he hasn't had the WHAT NOT TO SAY class yet!

The doctor finally came in and took a look....how in the world are you swallowing? You have to get the shot right now! Okay...sounds good, whatever it takes to stop the pain! The nurse came in to deliver the blow and warned me, "I'm not going to lie, this hurts pretty bad!" What she should have said was, "I'm about to swing a bat and hit you in the hip with great force!"

Once it was over and I felt like I could wobble out to my car, I tried to play off the pain and convince the nurse I was good to go! I thought I was good to go but as I was walking down the hallway and everything turned black, and I knew this couldn't be good.

I remember the nurse saying....

Are you okay?

Your face is very white!

Look at me.

I was so dizzy and then my body just went limp. I could hear her saying, "open your eyes", but I couldn't open them to save my life! The next thing I remember is laying on the floor with my legs propped up, a wet rag on my head, and straw in my mouth.....how embarrassing! As if that wasn't enough.....I started having the shakes and my teeth were clattering uncontrollably! They cut the air off and wrapped me up warm until my body temperature returned to normal. I believe it was a mixture of not eating or drinking any fluids in almost 24hrs....not to mention Chase was taking what little nutrients I did have, and just being so sick and exhausted at that point.

After a good 20 minutes, I was back to normal and on my way home. I say normal but I felt like someone shot a bullet in my butt, stuck a razor blade down my throat, and drugged me. I made it home and as I walked through the door in hopes of crashing on my bed...reality hit quickly!

Chris handed me Chase and said, "he is really hungry and Colby is in there playing, gotta go to work, love you, bye!"

What was I thinking.......SAHMs don't get sick days when their sick. Praise the Lord Colby slept from 12:00-3:00 and Chase is so laid back that he cuddled in the bed with me for 3 hours content as can be!

I went to bed at 8:00 that night and started feeling much better! My sweet little alarm clock went off the next morning, "Good morning mommy!!" Colby climbed in the bed to cuddle, and I noticed something all over his Binky....

What is that on Binky?

Frow up.

What? Throw up? When did you throw-up?

Last night.

Where?

In my bed. Let me show you mommy!

Oh my! You sure did! Why didn't you come get mommy last night?

I frow up in my bed and went back to seep!

Baby, next time you have to come get mommy.

Otay...I will! I want fruit bar mommy!

Heavens help me!!

I knew I had given him strep throat...it's inevitable with all the smooches I give him all day! Chase had a 6 month check-up so I called and scheduled Colby an appointment as well! This was Colby's first time to ever really be sick besides a cold and cough but not anything requiring a shot or throat swab. We play doctor all the time with his little doctor kit and our shots don't hurt so I think he had the wrong impression of a shot. I told him Chase was getting shots and he kept begging, "me too mommy, I get shot too, I sick and need a shot!"

As soon as the doctor walked in he announced, "I soooo sick, I need shot peez!"
I don't guess he remembers his 2 year vaccinations.....poor thing didn't have a clue.

The nurse told him to open wide and he stood tall, opened his mouth, stuck his tongue out and said ahhhhhhh, and she went in for the quick swab. He was shocked that she stuck that stick down his throat...he cried and said, "that not bery nice, you wude!"

He reached his little arms out for me to pick him up and had big crocodile tears running down his mad, red cheeks. The strep test came back positive....good thing he threw up or I would have never known, he was acting fine!

Shot time....
You should have seen him, I felt so bad about how clueless he was. He seriously thought it was going to be just like when I give him pretend shots and he says, tank you mommy, all bedda now!" He was so proud that he was going first as he climbed up on the table and said, "I weady for my shot." I was holding his arms down and telling him what a big boy he was being and then I saw a sweet smile turn into a look of terror and the outburst began.....

Mommy, dat hurt weally bad, weally weally bad

why she do dat

dat was so mean

not bery nice at all

I not ever get shot again

she knew betta that dat mommy!!!!


He was holding onto my neck as tight as possible, as if someone was going to take him away, and I held him back just as tight as I could!

It was over for Colby...so I thought.

The mean lady with the needles said, "okay it's Chase's turn," and Colby had a meltdown.
No mommy

not let her hurt baby Chase

it hurt weally bad

lets go home mommy

I not want baby Chase to ty (cry)!!!

 It was the saddest thing ever but at the same time....the sweetest! He was on the table with Chase, rubbing his head, and reassuring him that it was going to hurt weally bad but it would be otay! When Chase screamed, Colby screamed louder! He cried for his brother and of course...I cried too, so our nurse probably thought we were the crazies! I was so emotional seeing Colby so upset about his brother.....next time Chase has shots I will definitely be getting a babysitter for Colby.

I was holding Chase on one hip and Colby on the other while trying to console them both at one time and Colby said,

"lets go home mommy and don't forget my sucker!"

Good idea Colby and you can get 2 suckers this time!!!

Until Next Time.....

1 comment:

Kosek Landing said...

Great blog! Laughing and laughing and laughing some more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...