Saturday, July 3, 2010

Got Milk?

Chase went from eating on demand to only eating every four hours and from nursing all through the night to not nursing at all for 8 hours, so my body quit producing milk. I knew something was wrong when he would try to eat then immediately pull off and get frustrated. I decided to pump and was shocked when I only got one tiny oz...my poor baby was hungry.

I only had a few ounces of frozen milk and he devoured that in seconds. I wasn't going to start solids for another few weeks when he turned 6 months, but I felt like I needed to hold him over until I got my milk supply back to normal.

I tried cereal and he made a God-awful face. I let him try sweet potatoes....SCORE!!

He is a messy eater and not a happy camper when it's all gone!

Breastfeeding for at least a year is very important to me for so many reasons! The health benefits and the special bond are the most important but it's also all I know. I don't have a clue about formula and to be honest, I can't imagine adding another job to my list.......making bottles, cleaning bottles, buying formula, remembering to bring it all everywhere we go, No thanks! My milk is always accessible with no worries.....not counting this minor dilemma :( !!

With all that said.....I began a mission for milk!!!!

I called my bestie that is experienced with breastfeeding.....she nursed her two boys for two years each and is currently nursing her third child so I was hoping for her expertise......she instantly called me out on over scheduling his feedings. I also called a lactation consultant, and of course, used my best friend.....Mr. Google!

This is the game plan.....

Take fenugreek 3 times a day. You can read all about it here.
Enjoy this delicious Tea!
When I opened this box I noticed this advice....
Hmm....maybe I shouldn't worry so much about not feeding at night......I would rather wake up for the next 6 months than have my milk dry up!

Drink lots of water

No more coffee....Booo :(

Nurse and pump more frequently

and

Eat lots of cookies!!

Yes mam...you read that right! A friend of mine told me about cookies made with Brewers yeast that increases milk supply. Chris and I went to Rainbow Whole Foods (love love this store....too bad we can't afford it) and purchased the goods we needed.

Chris even made them for me......I so heart my awesome husband!

Recipe

1 C butter

1 C sugar

1 C brown sugar

4 T water

2 T flaxseed meal (no subs)

2 Lg eggs

1 t vanilla

2 C flour

1 t baking soda

1 t salt

3 C Thick cut oats

1 C Chocolate chips

2 T Brewers Yeast (no substitutions)





Preheat oven at 375.



Mix 2 T of flaxseed meal and water, set aside 3-5 minutes.

Cream butter and sugar.

Add eggs.

Stir flaxseed mix into butter mix and add vanilla.

Beat until well blended.

Sift: dry ingredients, except oats and choc chips.

Add butter mix to dry ing.

Stir in the oats and then the choc chips.

Drop on parchmant paper on baking sheet.

Bake 8-12 minutes.


Why Brewers yeast, oats, and flaxseed increase milk production-Here

As I pigged out on cookies and milk.....
Chris enjoyed this (the real reason he went with me to Rainbow) .....
either as a reward for his baking labor or to deal with his loony wife that is stressing out!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

chris is mixing up those cookies like "AWWWW NO, I am NOT going to be spending 40 bucks a week on formula!" (or however much it costs...i'm not sure!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...