Wednesday, June 30, 2010

How to teach my child to read????

Since I taught first grade and my objective every day was to teach children to read, I often get the question....

How do I teach my child to read or at least prepare them for Kindergarten?

I can give you a mile long list but the very best advice that I can share is.......

Read, Read, Read to your child! Read with enthusiasm that gives your child the hunger to read a book! Let your child see you reading for pleasure! Buy more books than toys and have them decorate your house!  Encourage your child to turn off the TV and climb in your lap for story time! Teach your child that a book is knowledge! Make trips to the library a special event and let them check out whatever books their little heart desires and they will not only become an excellent reader but will thank you later!


I've traveled the world twice over,



Met the famous; saints and sinners,


Poets and artists, kings and queens,


Old stars and hopeful beginners,


I've been where no-one's been before,


Learned secrets from writers and cooks


All with one library ticket


To the wonderful world of books.


~ Anonymous ~
 
 
We started the Library Summer Reading program today, and I was really impressed! The topic was fire safety.
 
Colby heard a cute story, did a little dance, listened to Pluggie teach about fire safety (that hydrant actually moves and talks),
 escaped from Pluggie's house that caught on pretend fire,
got a book bag of goodies,
and couldn't wait to show his daddy and tell him all about his trip to the library!
“Libraries allow children to ask questions about the world and find the answers. And the wonderful thing is that once a child learns to use a library, the doors to learning are always open.”


--Laura Bush

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...