Friday, June 25, 2010

I Met My Morrie

Colby is napping at Nanny's house (which BTW use to be Gammy but Colby informed us yesterday that it will never be Gammy because her name is NANNY...well then)  and Chase is taking his afternoon nap so I have to tell you about my Walmart experience this morning.

I went grocery shopping, which I won't do again at Walmart!! I've said this before but I really mean it this time. Kroger might have higher prices but they pack my groceries, load my groceries, and even take them to my car.....Hello, when you have babies the extra help is worth every extra penny!!

Baby Chase was an angel the entire time until check out and he couldn't take one more second in that carseat......meltdown city, you know when each breath is followed by a higher pitch and they start screaming for mercy!

In the process of getting Chase out of the carseat as fast as possible before the whole store was starring, I dropped my debit card and couldn't find it anywhere. So....this was becoming a lovely day in the neighborhood....here I am trying to load all the bags into a buggy, balancing Chase on my hip, and searching frantically for my card before the people behind me start throwing food my direction.

Do you know the lady checking me out didn't offer one ounce of help, but she did offer a lot of huffs and puffs...........Arggggg just another reason I won't grocery shop at Walmart again!!!!

I was almost in tears since my only form of paying for the groceries had vanished into thin air, and I didn't figure with Chase on my hip that I could escape with unpaid groceries....just kidding, stealing didn't cross my mind...well if the checkout lady would have been held accountable for paying then maybe....no not really!

As I was fighting back the tears a gracious soul showed up.....it was my Morrie!

A precious elderly lady came to my rescue and began to load my groceries into my buggy, found my debit card underneath the carseat, and offered to hold Chase while I was paying. She didn't stop there...she begged me to let her grandson take out my groceries!

The young cashier felt no desire to help, or the men that walked past, or the teenage girls waiting in line behind me. I thought about Morrie and wondered why does it take so many years to learn how to invest in other people. The sweet 70 year old lady didn't think twice to help when she saw a need!! I also thought about how she used my situation to teach her grandson a life lesson!

Now, he will know how to react to someone in need.....INVEST and HELP!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

people of the world: moms with babies have to get groceries, too! in fact, we need them worse than anyone! please have mercy on us! hint: if you help, we'll leave faster....


i can't count how many times i have turned to the person behind me in line at the grocery store and said, "don't worry, we'll be gone soon." i will miss the greatest generation...they are almost gone and with them goes pretty much all semblance of dignity, honor, and basic manners, i think.

Ashley said...

oh yeah, i forgot to say that i haven't shopped at walmart since moving to jackson. quite freeing, actually.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...