Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tuesdays With Morrie

This true story about the love between a spiritual mentor and his pupil has soared to the bestseller list for many reasons. For starters: it reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past. It also plays out a fantasy many of us have entertained: what would it be like to look those people up again, tell them how much they meant to us, maybe even resume the mentorship? Plus, we meet Morrie Schwartz--a one of a kind professor, whom the author describes as looking like a cross between a biblical prophet and Christmas elf. And finally we are privy to intimate moments of Morrie's final days as he lies dying from a terminal illness. Even on his deathbed, this twinkling-eyed mensch manages to teach us all about living robustly and fully. Kudos to author and acclaimed sports columnist Mitch Albom for telling this universally touching story with such grace and humility. --Gail Hudson




This book taught me

to embrace aging and death,

encouraged me to give more,

 realize the importance of relationships

and the worthlessness of material things!

This book taught me ......Life's greatest lesson!


I love a true story that is so captivating you just can't wait to hear the ending......I guess that's why I love the quote;

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.”   Paul Sweeney

In this book, Morrie shared enlightening advice but this one really stood out,

Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.

Morrie knew he was dieing and it changed his way of life. He told Mitch to question his actions, "if I knew this was my last day, would I still be doing it?"

I have to be honest......would I live yesterday the same if I knew death would be knocking on my door today....No!

Would I be checking Facebook on my phone while nursing Chase?
No, I would soak up every detail of the precious moment!

Would I get frustrated with Colby over something so frivolous, NO!

Would I think of cooking dinner as a chore, NO!

Would I quit painting with Colby because the mess was getting out of control, NO WAY!

Would I wait one more second to embrace my family and friends and tell them how much they mean to me, No!

What would I do????

I would be grateful for one more day to revel in the pure happiness of my life!

I sure love a good book!!





1 comment:

Alicia said...

Sounds like a great book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...