Friday, July 9, 2010

SHARE FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Your toddler just woke up from her nap, and off both of you go to get the much-needed groceries for the evening’s dinner. You have your list, your child is cooperative, and you zip through the store with organized efficiency and a smile. This trip is easy and fun. Suddenly, a store clerk taps you on the shoulder and asks for you to share your cart, right this minute… your time is up…

Two and three year-olds will be much involved with their toys. Their play is their work and important learning, like your efficient shopping was your mission. As you might be upset by the tap on the shoulder from the store clerk, so will your child when her concentration and enjoyment are disrupted by a parent’s “sharing” expectation.
by Dr. Caron Goode
Read more here
 
This scenario really helped me to be a little more understanding of why my son flips a lid when I insist on him sharing! He has become quite the toy hoarder and it makes me want to pull my hair out!!
 
last night we had some friends over for dinner, and I think Colby almost had a panic attack when his two buddies were enjoying all his toys. He literally didn't know what to do with himself.....
 
He was hiding toys behind the couch and under the train table

keeping inventory on every toy that was being played with.....he was on a power trip!!!
 
I was preparing dinner, and I heard two cries growing louder as they approached the kitchen. Colby had a red eye with a protruding brow bone, yelling "he hit me" and his buddy was repeating, "I so sorry!" I knew exactly what happened when I noticed Colby juggling 6 trains.....one under his chin, three shoved in his armpits, and two clinched to his chest as if his life depended on not dropping one!
 
We had the "we share with our friends and treat them with love" spill, and Colby released his death grip from ONE train.....well it's a start!!
 
I remained calm, but inside I was screaming.....SHARE FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!
 
I signed Colby up for Mother's Morning Out in hopes that he will acquire some social interaction skills. I'm so worried that I will get a dreaded call regarding his behavior. The director assured me that most children attending MMO have never been in a childcare setting but adjust quickly.....whew, fingers crossed!
 
Colby won't be three until December but she placed him in the three year old room since he is potty trained. I think he will do much better in the older room since he is so dominant and bossy mature for his age......maybe the older kiddos will put him in his place!
 
I have really been enforcing the importance of sharing so he won't have a melt down the first day of MMO when he realizes everything doesn't belong to him.
 
We read....
 
About The Rainbow Fish


Rainbow Fish, with his beautiful sparkling silver scales, was the most beautiful fish in the ocean. Despite Rainbow Fish's beauty, he was not happy. Rainbow Fish did not have any friends because he wouldn't share his scales. Rainbow Fish gets some very good advice from a wise octopus and learns to be happy by making others happy!

We had a great discussion about sharing and treating people with love. I always remind him....Love is not rude!
 
He made his own rainbow fish.
 
Decorate a coffee filter with markers...
Sprinkle with water....
Cut out a fish shape and give him some beautiful scales using foil....

Glue onto blue paper and cover with cling wrap to give it the underwater appearance!!
When Colby doesn't won't to share, I remind him of the Rainbow fish!
 
Since we were on the topic of fish I started an Ocean Life Unit!
I found all the books I had on Ocean life...
Cute Cute Cute book!!
Review
"A little fish is brimming with energy and curiosity and his mom sends him out of their sea cave to swim until he is tired. She warns him, however, to beware of the Big Fish...With its vivid language, many rhyming and onomatopoetic words, brisk pace, and exclamatory style, the book is perfect for reading aloud.
 
Colby loves when the big fish burps him out.....imagine that! He wanted to read it so many times that he quickly learned many ocean animals and is now able to list at least 10 animals found in the ocean....at this age they are little sponges and retain information so easily!!
 
We also made an Ocean Tot Book....these are wonderful and so easy to make. Just print it out here, the work is already done for you!!
 
Colby gets extremely excited about his tot books (please ignore the Superman underwear.....my child refuses to stay clothed and it's a battle not worth fighting)!
 

It's great for practicing letters, numbers, counting, identifying ocean animals, and early reading concepts!
 

Until Next Time.....

4 comments:

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sara said...

omg, why do people NEED followers so badly? it's the same on YouTube. "I subscribed to your channel so subscribe to mine ok? Thanks." I don't get it. Is our love quotient and self-esteem so low now that we count our followers and subscribers to get our needs met?? ok, stepping off the random soap box...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...