Monday, May 3, 2010

Bad Day

Do you ever have a bad day as a mother?

You know the kind of day where you think.....

I'm not so good at this mommy thing!

Well.....most days I have a good feeling about my mommy abilities

but today...

ummmm not so much!

Chris and I were just discussing how proud we've been of Colby's behavior

no tantrums and

obedient...for the most part

but today he woke up and decided it was all a

fake out

trick

joke

a fast one

sike

gotcha

okay...you get the point!

He literally did everything humanly possible to be defiant and to make veins pop out of my head. He was trying to break every house rule (that he's known and obeyed for months) and he acted like he was scoring points each time. I felt like it was a game and I was a big, fat loser

Colby 100,000,000

Mom 0

I decided to get out of the house and meet Gammy for lunch, ahhhhhhhhhhh huge mistake.

We tried to eat at Beagle Bagel....... thinking oh this will be great because we can sit outside.

He acted as if he was 12 months old and had no capability of sitting for longer than 2 seconds. He got away from Gammy at one point and ran as fast as he could.....Gammy was out of breath and worn out by the time lunch was over.

We ran into a friend of mine and her two-year old said, 'why Colby not sit down?"
Good question Eden, good question!!

Me: mom, you have to make him mind...he can't just run off ( I was nursing Chase)
Gammy: I'm trying, he is fast and pulls away

People stared with the expression that shouted

"CONTROL YOUR CHILD"

I couldn't take anymore so I loaded the boys up and headed back home.
Colby fell asleep on the way home (a whopping 20 mins)  so when he got home he said, "no nap mommy, I not sleepy" .......Lord help me, no nap + defiant child = crazy mommy!

His behavior continued to get worse because now he is a tired, defiant toddler.

I was trying to get Chase asleep and Colby purposely popped his little head into the door way ( 3 times) and shouted as if he was announcing a fire warning  and poor baby Chase was startled and poked his precious little bottom lip out each time.

Colby knew he was in trouble and took off for cover. I laid Chase in his bed and rushed to tackle find Colby.....I was not letting him get away with such behavior.

TIME OUT

TIME OUT

TIME OUT

NOW MISTER!!!!

and then with his eyebrows scrunched he looked at me and screamed

NO

NO

NO MAM

at this point I'm pretty livid, and I probably had steam shooting from my ears!

I should have taken a deep breath and said a short prayer, but it didn't quit happen.

I went to grab him up by his arm and glue his behind to the time out bench, but he actually did a fake out move and ran around the coffee table (I really think he will follow in the athlete footsteps of our family.......it makes it easier to admit that a two year old faked me out).

so now the

veins are popping

steam is shooting

and the horns are protruding from my head!!

Brace yourself because this gets ridiculous.

I was so angry that I kicked the laundry basket out of the way

and I broke my toe.......yes, you read that correctly

I broke my toe and it hurts to even walk.

I sat down and started crying because

#1 it hurt like h***

#2 I just threw a tantrum

#3 I didn't understand why he was misbehaving so badly

#4 I should have been more patient and God was saying, "see what happens when you do things your way!"

#5 I felt like a failure as a mother.
    I swore Colby would never hear me raise my voice or get angry but he just saw both for the first time......how disappointing!

As I was crying, Colby approached me very slowly

rubbed my arm

and said, " are you otay mommy, mommy you happy?"

Then, I felt even worse that he saw me upset...... I think it scared him.

But, I also thought to myself.....

well he might be defiant but at least he is compassionate!

I went to rock Chase back to sleep and Colby climbed in the chair with us and sang

Jesus Loves Me

 and then rubbed Chase's back and whispered, "shhhh baby Chase shhhhhh Jesus loves you."

and at that moment....

Colby erased all the defiant behavior, the pain in my toe, feelings of failure, the veins, steam, horns, tears.........

he made a bad day a GOOD DAY!


2 comments:

Alicia said...

Bless your heart! I have had many days like that and in the end, feel so guilty for MY behavior! I am working on stopping, taking a deep breath and praying before approaching the situation but sometimes that is so hard to do! The human side of us kicks in :( hope you have a better day! God Bless you!

Sara said...

I know the worst of it hadn't started yet when we saw you, but if it makes you feel any better about lunch, you didn't look flustered to me at all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...