Saturday, May 1, 2010

Lovey

I have been so wishy washy about picking out a lovey for Chase. I'm a huge fan of loveys, and I want it to be just the right one!!

We gave Colby his lovey (aka Binky) and he became attached around 6 months old. I really think Binky contributed to him being a fantastic sleeper! I would hold it between us while he was nursing and it had my scent, so when I put him down in the crib he could still smell me and had something tangible to cuddle. He would rub it against his face until he fell fast asleep.....still does to this day.

You can see Binky tucked tightly under his arm....so stinkin cute! I have to admit it's not the original Binky :(
We had a horrible mishap in December.....yep, it was awful when Binky was lost at Walmart and never found! You can read all about it


Chris was getting concerned that Colby's attachment is a little out of control and he should be growing out of his lovey......men, right?

Who has time for a lovey between eating bugs, playing in the dirt, throwing balls, and doing other macho activities

give me a break

why do dads want babies to be grown men??


Well come to found out it's a sign of a strong-bond between parent and child  (click here for more info. )

Some parents fear that loveys can stunt their child's independence, but in fact, it's just the opposite. Because the child is using the lovey to soothe himself — rather than always depending on a parent to do it — he's actually learning to be more independent. The strength he gets from the lovey is often just what he needs to feel comfortable striking out on his own.

Harvey Karp, author of The Happiest Toddler on the Block.

soooooo.......back off daddio!  I love you, Chris!

Colby took Binky with him to the doctor one day and my Pediatrician went on and on about how much she encourages a transitional object ( fancy name for lovey). My OB also noticed Colby carrying his Binky and he made the same comment. He implied I should get another one in case Binky got lost because he once had to drive back from Mobile to Destin when his little girl left her lovey at the condo........I should have taken his advice!

I understand how he felt...we probably spent as much time searching Walmart as they did backtracking to Florida. Holy Moly, the things parents do to make their babies happy!

Colby's Binky attachment just happened, it wasn't planned at all, but knowing what I know now is prompting me to make it happen with baby Chase.

The Easter Bunny brought this cute Mickey Mouse lovey, which I thought would be cute to call Mickey  

good thinking Easter bunny

you and Santa always have things figured out


and he seems to really like it! 

I just let him play with it during the day and he cuddles with it while nursing. Around 6 months is usually when babies start having separation anxiety during sleep time so I'm hoping he will have already formed a bond at this point, and I can start letting him sleep with it. 6 months is the recommended age to let a baby sleep with a lovey because at this point they can roll over well and move objects away from their face if they need to.....
I know, I know...
I'm google queen...
I can't help myself!

Chase also received another  lovey as a gift and it is a super soft blankie that's oh sooo cute!


You can't tell since Chase is a little peanut but it's actually a really little blankie....perfect size! He loves to eat it....off to a great start!


Man.....I just realized my life is pretty adventurous

my decisions consist of

Mickey or Blankie????


If your a mom, you must watch and be prepared to laugh your booty off or shed a tear (depends on the kinda day you've had)! Thanks for sharing Sara!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I never looked at having a lovey the way that you described but it makes a lot of sense. My oldest had no interest in anything like that. However my youngest, out of the blue at about 1yr old, decided that he needed a lovely, to say. It was an oversized Ty Beanie baby Tiger, that he called Dog. It started out really soft like beanie babies are always do but by the time that it was said and done, it was not so soft and had no shape to it at all! It helped him a lot in comforting himself. It was so sad to see the day that he decided that he didn't need "Dog" anymore. But I still have it and plan to always have it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...