Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pullups....HELP!!

Pullups at night.....Yes or No is the question?????

Okay moms, I need some advice!! Give me your thoughts  ASAP!!

I did  Early Start Potty Training so Colby has been potty trained for over a year now. He has had bowel control since 15 months and hasn't worn a diaper since 22 months old.

I've always heard once the diapers go they should go for good, even at night! So, that's what I did and it worked for the most part. He would go several weeks with dry nights and have sporadic wet nights. It didn't bother me in the least to change the sheets, after all he has a plastic cover on the mattress that I just wipe down...no biggie!! In the past when he wet the bed, he wouldn't wake up until morning but now he is waking up immediately and it's more frequent. Waking still isn't a big deal...I wake up several times with Chase so what's one more time, right?  The stinker is.....he doesn't know how to come in my room and wake me up quietly. Chase's crib is right next to my bed so Colby wakes him up every time he comes to get me for a A CLEAN UP ON AISLE 4.

I decided this was all just too much...........A sista needs a little bit of sleep!

I introduced Colby to a pullup and he wasn't digging it AT ALL!! Remember now.....he never remembers wearing a diaper! He said, "I not like pullup, I wear my unawear, I a big boy not a baby!" I convinced him that it would be great because he wouldn't get all wet at night and he could take it off as soon as he woke up. I thought we were good to go and I assumed he was already snoozing........ummmm no, he decides to take it off and throw it down the hall and proceed to put his underwear back on! After lots of coaching and bargaining, he was compliant...thank the Lord!

Yes, he slept all night!!

Chris was not on board with this decision. His idea was to put a mattress cover, sheet, mattress cover, sheet..........so when he had an accident during the night, we can just remove the soiled sheets and mattress cover and VIOLA, another set is ready to go!

It's a good idea but it doesn't solve the big problem......Colby would still disturb Chase.

I need some feedback!! Is this a big mistake?

Am I a mean mommy for making him wear a pullup against his will?

Will he regress and just wet the pullup every night since he knows he can?

Will this create a habit that will cause him to be a bed wetter for years to come?

I would love to hear any tips, suggestions, and other experiences PLEASE!!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

NOT a big deal! Use the pull-up, I say.

Tell them that they aren't diapers, that pull-ups are only for big boys and that Bradley and Mikey wear them.

My cousin calls them "Nap Panties" (of course, she has girls) so "Nap Underwear".

My kids don't use the pull up on purpose when they wear them, but it's nice when there is an accident b/c i don't have to clean up. YAY!!

what i do is: if there hasn't been an accident in a week or more, we go back to underwear. if there is an occasional accident, fine. if there is an accident 2 nights in a row, we go back to pull ups.

Anonymous said...

1. You are the sweetest Mommy I know!
2. Use the Pullups--it won't stimulate him to wet the bed more, as bedwetting (enuresis) occurs during the deep phases of sleep, therefore, he isn't doing it on purpose.
3. When you wake up to feed the little one, it may be a good idea to try to wake the older C to get him to use the potty another time.
4. Push fluids during the daytime hours, but limit them in the last few hours before bedtime.
5. Don't let it alarm you, but many boys continue wetting the bed, occasionally, through the age of 5 or 6. It's normal. Add it to the "don't sweat the small stuff" list.

I'm sure you're already reminding him to go potty before bedtime, so it wasn't worth suggesting.

You're not only the sweetest, but the most attentive Mommy who does the best job in educating your child that I believe I have ever witnessed.

Best wishes,

Stacey

Anna said...

Elise wears a pull up at night and is uses the potty during the day. She understands. Even when I wake her up at night to go potty she still has an accident.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...